About Us/Church History
The Church was organized on Sunday, February 10, 1929, by
the late Reverend Norris G. Green, with 18 members. The congregation met at Salem Baptist
Church, 12 Street south
of Bainbridge Street,
at 11:00 a.m. Reverend Green ascended the rostrum and preached from the text “I
saw the dead, both great and small, standing before God.” After the sermon, the
congregation proceeded to organize as a permanent Baptist Church.
The late Deacon Charles Smith was appointed temporary Church Clerk and officers
were elected. We were able to secure and worship at the following locations:
928 South 12 Street; 1024 Christian Street; 1108 East Passyunk Avenue; 1118 Bainbridge Street
Reverend Green served faithfully for 15 years, seeing Gospel Temple
through many hardships until his death. After the death of Reverend Green in
1944, the late Deacon James Cephas became Chairman of the Church. Deacon Cephas
officiated until the late Reverend Lawrence T. Thomas was elected pastor in
Reverend Thomas pastured for 17 wonderful years, until his
death, leaving the late Deacon Milton Brown, Sr. as Chairman of the Church.
Deacon Brown officiated until the members elected Reverend William Womack as
Pastor in 1964. Reverend Womack served as well until he resigned in 1970 to
form his own church, leaving the late Deacon Stephen Washington as Church
Chairman. Deacon Washington
officiated until we called Reverend Benjamin Gray in November 1970.
Reverend Gray pastured Gospel Temple
for 19 months, until he too resigned. The resignation of Reverend Gray left the
church without a pastor, , leaving Deacon Washington as Church Chairman, once again. Gospel Temple
then called Reverend James S. Lee in 1973. Reverend Lee served until 1975,
again leaving Deacon Washington
to serve as Church Chairman.
Temple then called our
present pastor, Reverend Doctor Daniel Taylor Black, an inspired man of God,
who is full of the Holy Spirit.
We were blessed in being able to secure this location, 1327-33 South 19 Street,
location expanded from 1327-33 South 19 Streets to Dorrance and
Earp Streets. Construction began April 1997 for our new edifice and the
expansion of our church.
On September 13, 1998 Gospel Temple
had its Dedication Service. The theme was “Building On A Solid Foundation.”
Mayor Edward Rendell, City Councilwoman Ann Verna, State Representative Harold
James and Sheriff John Green were some of the public officials that attended
the dedication service. Pastor Arthur White, Community Christ
Church presided the
To all of the men and women who held our church together
through great trials and tribulations and who are responsible for the
prosperity of our church, we commend you to excellence in God’s Work.
Gospel Temple Baptist Church
1327 S. 19th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146